Steelhead Fly Fishing Lessons
Learn how to catch Steelhead on a fly. This class isn't a guide trip but a Steelhead fishing lesson that demonstrates techniques used to catch Steelhead on a fly and fly rod.
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"
I will show you how. I will work with you one on one as we go through these points:
Lesson usually runs about two hours - can be longer, depending on location and conditions.
- How to tie on a fly - knots
- Casting - cast types and angle
- Mending the fly line
- Reading the water
- Swinging the fly
- Controlling the Swing
- Fishing Etiquette
- How to play a Steelhead
- How to land a Steelhead
- How to release wild Steelhead
- Hunting Steelhead - where to find and catch Steelhead
- Best flies for the season and the fishermen
Fees and places:
- Washougal River: $150.00
- Klickitat River: $350.00 (Class will run longer than two hours (half day))
- Cowlitz River at Blue Creek Trout Hatchery: $225.00
- Deschutes River at Mouth (Class will run longer than two hours (half day))(Deschutes River State Recreation Area) $350.00
Jeff Layton offers private Spey casting and single hand fly casting lessons.
Lessons can be behind the shop at Grabflies shop's private pond, or on the Washougal river.
Casting Lessons (Click Here)
Serving: Washougal, Camas, Vancouver, Battle Ground, SW Washington, Portland, Gresham, Beaverton, Tigard, Hillsboro, NW Oregon.