GrabFlies.com copyright Ⓒ 2009/2017
Grabflies Tips and Tricks #1 Spey Casting - How To Cast Large Flies
A quick tip on things to consider when casting larger and heavier flies with a heavy sink tip.
- If possible use a heavier rod that has a faster action. Faster action rods can take a deeper load from the sustain line anchor.
When you are having difficulty extending your cast all the way out consider:
- Getting the fly and anchor closer to you.
- Perry Poke Spey Cast (this helps line up your anchor with the direction that you are casting, making your cast more efficient for casting large flies.
- High Stick on your backward stroke (high sticking will take a couple feet of your anchor out of the water. When casting larger flies (Moal Leeches, Intruder flies) they will increase your line anchor, so clearing more of your sinking tip from your backward stroke will help.
- Intermediate Sinking Spey Fly Line (I often will use this line and one tip lighter - T-11 instead of T-14, or T-14 instead of T-17).
Sign UP for Grablfies.com Steelhead Tips and Tricks Newsletter